Post a Tribute Message for Dick Lavine and Anne Dunkelberg’s 20 Years at CPPP

Working for a Better Texas

We’re celebrating Dick and Anne’s 20 years of wonk-ship with CPPP, and we want you to join us!

Please take a moment to congratulate our colleagues on their exceptional tenure at CPPP by leaving a message in the comments–funny stories and “remember when…?” are welcomed and encouraged.

2014_DickAnne_20yearCampaign

Comments
28 Responses to “Post a Tribute Message for Dick Lavine and Anne Dunkelberg’s 20 Years at CPPP”
  1. Oliver says:

Congratulations on 20 + 20 years of research and advocacy at CPPP! The state is a better place because of your dedication.

2. Mia says:

An acrostic poem in honor of Dick Lavine:

Dissolve into a loving universe – best political advice ever.
    I hope you never retire.
    Comics and humor will get us through.
    Keep on keepin’ on.

3. Jennifer says:

Having recently celebrated 1 year of wonk-ship with CPPP, both Anne and Dick inspire me daily with their continued hard work and commitment to the people of Texas. They are the Energizer Bunnies of policy analysis and advocacy!

4. Eva says:

Today’s Fun Fact: If you were cats, you’d be celebrating 97 years of working at CPPP. Impressive, eh?

5. Ann Beeson says:

The holidays are upon us, so I can’t resist the temptation to indulge in an “It’s A Wonderful Life”-style tribute. Just imagine what Texas and CPPP would be like without Anne and Dick … [screen fades from color to black and white]

Zillions of Texas kids would be unhealthy, with no access to health insurance through CHIP. Texans would be dumber and sicker, because without Dick’s tireless advocacy to stop tax cuts, there would be even less revenue to support education and health care. Health care coalitions, if they existed at all, would be useless and ineffective without Anne’s eagle eyed policy analysis and formidable partner wrangling – so fewer Texans would have gained access to health care through the ACA. There would be no Texas Forward, so groups would be fighting over crumbs instead of working together to grow the pie. Without the high standards Dick and Anne set for quality research, analysis and advocacy, CPPP would never have attracted the resources to start KidsCount or the Economic Opportunity Team. And just as Donna Reed was a childless old maid without Jimmy Stewart, CPPP would not have begot all those brilliant generations of wonks, without Anne’s and Dick’s mentorship.

Anne and Dick, CPPP just wouldn’t be CPPP without everything you have both done for us. And Texas wouldn’t be Texas – it would be a compassionless, ignorant, sickly, Scrooge-like, Wild West of a state … wait, we need you for another 20 years!!

With love, gratitude, and admiration,
    Ann

6. Randy Washington says:

Congratulations to you Anne on 20 years at CPPP!!!
    But your public service career certainly extends beyond that to your time in state government and at the university.
    You are the epitome of a public servant. Your knowledge, dedication, and education/advocacy in regards to public policy has blessed us all. We are a better state because of your service. For those who may not personally know of your service …but are better because of it, let me simply say on their behalf: “Thank-you…and may God shower His blessings upon you!”
    Highest Regards,
    Randy

7. Chris Sharman says:

Congrats Anne and Dick!

Texas is a better place for having you both contribute your intellect, passion, and expertise to the important issues facing our state.

Thanks for all you do.

Chris

8. Flora Brewer says:

Thank you for 10+years of answering this naggy board member’s off the wall questions! Thank you for always having an answer that’s based on data. It is just such an honor to know you guys and to think I had a small part in sustaining your work for all these years. Thank you for living in Texas and beating your head against the wall with us. Thank you for keeping bad things from being worse. Thank you for working in the arena of the possible. Thank you for being able to talk to anyone from any perspective with civility and courage. And don’t leave us!!!!

9. Rachel Udow says:

Anne, you are one of the most intelligent, responsive, and reliable people I’ve ever encountered in my work. Your impact on those of us doing ACA work around the state is unparalleled. By helping to ensure that we have accurate, thorough, and up-to-date info. on the broader context of our work on any given day, you make it so much easier for us to provide quality service to our communities. Congratulations on 20 years, and here’s to many more!

With all my respect and appreciation,

-Rachel (and the rest of your massive RGV fan club, I’m sure!)

10. Frances says:

Gracias. We need more of you! Keep going.
    We do appreciate your dedication, work and passion for all of Texas, but most especially for the most vulnerable.

11. Doug Hall says:

I have consistently been super impressed by the people who have made CPPP their home. While some of those stellar individuals have moved on to new challenges (Dianne, Patrick, Don, and Scott stand out in my mind), Dick and Anne have been exceptional in both the longevity of their work, and the quality of their service not just to the good people of the Great State of Texas, but also to the entire nation.

Anne, I feel like our paths probably crossed most frequently as a result of “asset-building work”, which was a relatively brief chapter in my career, but I came away impressed, and happy to call you a colleague.

Dick, I think it’s likely you were in the mix from the beginning of my time in the EARN/SFAI/SPP fold, so I’ve been admiring your work for over 15 years now. As recently as last week, I was recounting my admiration for your work, and the little bit I know about your “work-life balance”. I love that you and Kimble sneak out to watch movies together at state fiscal conferences, I am sure that Eva has benefited enormously from your leadership over the years, and although I’ve only relatively recently discovered it, I’m happy to know that photography is one of your creative outlets.

At the end of the day, so pleased to know you both, grateful for the work you do, and appreciative of the people you are!

Cheers, Doug.

12. Krista says:

Thank you, Anne, for always answering my questions on public benefits and immigrants’ access, and for being open to all my colleagues who I send your way because, well, you know everything. Really! It’s incredible and wonderful and so awesome that your brain works on the side of good!
    Thank you!

13. Charlotte McCann says:

Time sure flies. You both are my heroes, and reminders, to paraphrase Molly, to keep fighting for justice and fun doing it . 🙂

14. I’ve depended on the work of both Anne and Dick as well as many others at CPPP since 2000, when I began working in communications for the Texas Academy of Family Physicians. Whenever I’ve needed a better understanding of state policy and its implications — as I so frequently do — I’ve gone immediately to their analysis, ever so grateful that the two of them are working in my town. Whatever happenstance and good fortune coincided 20 years ago that presented these two for hire in the same year by CPPP, we have all benefited tremendously. Congratulations Anne and Dick, and thank you so much for your diligence, insight, tenacity, and creativity.

15. Linda Aaker says:

Anne and Dick, what an amazing 20 years of brilliant fighting for the people of Texas. You two are my heroes! Thank you for the late nights, the talking with folks who were difficult to persuade, and the stamina to keep working for a better Texas. LInda Aaker

16. What can I say? I’ve learned SO MUCH from both Anne & Dick. I can’t even imagine a CPPP without either of you. You are the foundation, the heart, the soul, and the fire of this organization. I’m always so proud to tell people that I work with you. I hope to be able to say that for another 20 years!

BTW – Anne, many many people in my life have indirectly benefited from your humor when I sing them your classic “Happy Birthday” song. And Dick, the same goes for the cartoons you share with me — they become Deviney-viral (granted, that’s a small universe–but they still appreciate it!) 🙂

17. Ken Paxton says:

Mr. Lavine and Ms. Dunkelberg! Twenty years! Why haven’t you people given up? What foolish tenacity! If you–and your friends–would quit promoting “fact”-based policymaking, Texas could more quickly achieve its goal of being 50th in everything! (Best to you both.)

18. Anne and Dick:

Thank you, thank you, thank you~!

Susan Thompson

19. Graciela Camarena says:

Blessings! It is truly a blessing to have such dedicated and intelligent people like Anne and Dick to lead Texans through over 20 years of hard work and tough opposition in so many ways. Anne, you are a strong woman (of faith) as I will assume from your loving and giving heart! It is a pleasure to know you, and even though I don’t get see you often (years in between), I know you are there like the stars are in the sky even on a cloudy night. I would love to hear your classic “Happy Birthday” song as Ms. Frances has mentioned in her comments above. Thank you for ALL you do Anne and Dick!! May God Bless you and every Texan that knows and loves you!

Gracie Camarena 🙂

20. We appreciate your dedication and commitment to making this a better state for ALL!
    The Staff of Community Advancement Network (CAN), Austin, TX

21. Brakeyshia Samms says:

Anne & Dick,

Thank you so much for your hard work over the past 20 years. It is an honor to work with both of you each and every day. You’ve made Texas a better state for my family and me, and for that I am forever grateful!

Brakeyshia

22. Jim Hine says:

The Dynamic Duo.

Like so many others, I have learned so much from both of you. Your tenacity to do what is right and to serve those who have no voice at the table sets a standard we should all aspire to achieve. May you stay the course and give hope to those who find themselves in need. We may not live in a perfect world, but many are in a better place, because of what you have been able to accomplish.

23. Janet Dunkelberg says:

Good work, Sister Dear! And Happy Birthday!

24. Veletta Forsythe Lill says:

Thanks for giving 20 years of service to CPPP and the residents of Texas. You are legends in the eyes of many.

25. Alex Emden says:

I always knew that my great-uncle Dick was AMAZING !!
    Love, Alex (age 2)

26. Michael Lipsky says:

Anne and Dick: Congratulations on two decades of fighting the good fight. Michael

27. Chuck Sheketoff says:

Congratulations to you both!

Texans are lucky to have you both working for A Better Texas.

28. Congratulations on 20 years Anne! And thank you for all you do for Texas families!